Mediterranean Burdock Mushroom Fusion (Serves 2-4)
I love mushrooms, spices and burdock root! This combination is the perfect addition to any soup, salad or any savoury dish. The toasted Fennel and Coriander seeds add a Mediterranean crunch. Try variations with different herbs and mushrooms.
-1 cup water
-1 large (or 2 medium) burdock root, grated (approx. 1 cup)
-1 large red onion, thinly sliced
-4 cups of mushrooms, thinly sliced (oyster, shiitake, maitake, or mix)
-2 Tbsp soy/tamari/teriyaki or soy substitute sauce (preferably organic, gluten-free and non-GMO)
-1-2 small cloves garlic, minced
-1 Tbsp fresh, peeled, minced/grated ginger
-1 Tbsp each coriander seeds and fennel seeds, lightly toasted
-1/4 cup chopped almonds, walnuts or any nut you prefer, lightly toasted
-1/4 cup freshly chopped dill, parsley or cilantro
1. Heat a skillet on medium heat, add water, burdock, onions and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and stir well. Keep lid closed and simmer 20minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Turn heat to low, add garlic, ginger and sauce of choice. Mix well and leave uncovered to allow for evaporation for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and leave for five more minutes.
3. Taste and adjust flavour with more sauce/salt, ginger and/or garlic.
4. Add to a soup, sauté, salad or sandwich and/or serve with toasted seeds, nuts and fresh green herb of choice, on top.
5. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in a skillet, closed and on a low heat for a few minutes.
Add to the following recipe: Grounding Fusion Soup
To toast seeds:
Heat a skillet on medium heat, stir seeds constantly with a wooden spoon until fragrant and lightly toasted (approx 2-3 minutes), remove from the pan immediately, to prevent burning and flavour loss. Store in an airtight container until ready to use