It’s Rosh Hashana, aka the Jewish New Year! And this means a lot of sweets this week! Apples and Honey are the most popular two items being consumed (after bread and wine of course) and although both are super healthy (when the honey is harvested consciously and properly), honey should never be cooked! So here’s an epic easy yummy moist fluffy cake that is sweet, full of apples and will satiate both those who celebrate and those who do not celebrate this festive time of the year. It is plant based and any flour and sugar (or granule/powdered sugar substitute) can work in this recipe!
Here are a few articles that explain why cooking honey is a NO-NO!
Moist-Fluffy Apple Cake
- 4 medium, Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cubed small or large (approx 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups oat flour (gluten-free or use any flour you like)
- 2 cups pitted dates, soaked in 1 cup hot water 30minutes
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or use any sugar you like)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp+2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Celtic or Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Optional: 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Grease+flour a bundt cake pan or a rectangular 9”x13” pan
- Mix apples with lemon juice. Set aside.
- Cream soaked dates with 2 tsp cinnamon in a blender, set aside
- Strain the lemon juice from the apples into a little cup and stir with the baking soda.
- Use a hand mixer to blend baking soda mix, sugar, 2 tbsp cinnamon, salt, vanilla, almond milk, oil until.
- Mix together with the flour until a batter forms.
- Stir in raisins, walnuts, and apples.
- Transfer the date paste into a large ziplock bag or a piping bag.
- Pour half the batter into your prepared pan then squeeze half the date paste mixture, then pour the remaining batter on top evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a thin knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10minutes before turning it over onto a plate and allowing the moisture to vaccum seal and slide out easily on its own.
- Drizzle remaining date caramel sauce on top of your cake, slice and serve. Leave at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days before refrigerating leftovers (if there will be any?)