It’s that time of the month for me and today I felt like something really nourishing, rejuvenating, rich and delicious! It’s a known fact that no matter what time of the month, women love chocolate and especially on their moon (aka menstruation). I don’t mean to seclude men here, I know you totally love chocolate too and this post and recipe is for you all too! Beneficial for all genders and ages!
The moon time is a sacred time for women to relax, rejuvenate, replenish, and surrender. In the world we live in, there’s a lot of hustle and bustle and lack of nutrients in our overall life, so relaxing for even a day is not always an option. Luckily, there are many ways to work, be stressed and make the moon time a little easier and even an enjoyable time.
One of my favourite treats during this time is my delicious, creamy and ever so nourishing hot chocolate elixir. It’s rejuvenating because of all the wonderful healing elements and superfoods added to it.
This special recipe includes ingredients that aren’t just tasty but also healing and beneficial for the body. See info about each ingredient below the recipe.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (preferably preservative free)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (preferably homemade)
- 1-2 tsp Shatavari powder (use 1 if this is your first time using it)
- 1 tsp gelatinized maca powder (red/black/white all work)
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp MCT oil or raw coconut oil
- Pinch-1/4 tsp Celtic/Himalayan salt (freshly ground preferably)
- 2 tbsp cacao/coco powder or carob powder
- 1-3 tsp monk fruit powder/maple syrup or your choice of sweetener
- optional sweetener replacement:
- 1/2 – 1 tsp licorice root powder (do not use if you have blood pressure issues)
Note: or use 8-12 drops of your favourite liquid stevia (I like Sweet Leaf because there’s no after taste)
Optional: for spicy add 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper and/or ginger powder
- Heat up both milks in a small pot on high heat. Remove from heat just before it starts to boil (approx 5 minutes)
- In the mean time add the rest of your ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Pour milk into the blender and slowly increase speed until it’s on high and blend for 10 seconds until frothy.
- Taste and add more of any ingredient if you desire.
- Pour into your favourite mug, sprinkle with cacao/cinnamon and sip away.
Remember: No recipe is set in stone
Some benefits of each ingredient (source of facts provided)
- SHATAVARI may promote:
- Healthy female and male reproductive system
- Increased levels of breast milk production
- Soothes and moisturizes the digestive tract and respiratory tract
- Increased levels of energy
- Boost the immune system
- Natural antioxidant properties
2. GELATINIZED MACA ROOT ( (lepidium meyenii)
- Due to being a cruciferous veggie it needs to be gelatinized and never RAW
- An adaptogen (helps restore the body back into balance by adapting to stressors)
- Helps balance hormones
- Immune Booster
- Boosts levels of glutathione and SOD (superoxide dismutase)
- Increase levels of energy and stamina
- Improved sexual function
- Improved memory, mental focus, mood
- Contains absorbable vitamins and minerals and nutrients such as protein, fiber, calcium and magnesium
- Over 20 amino acids
3. LICORICE ROOT (Glycyrrhiza: comes from “glukos” (sweet) and “riza” (root).)
- Relieves constipation (a common symptom for many women on their moon time)
- Aids digestion and acid reflux
- Immune booster
- Relieves symptoms of PMS and Menopausal Support
- Fights viral infections
- Relieves ulcers
- Relieves stress from adrenal glands (regulate the stress hormone cortisol)
Note: When purchasing cinnamon opt for True Cinnamon aka Ceylon vs. Cassia aka Saigon/Chinese. Cassia contains far more Coumarins which are believed to be potentially damaging to the liver when more than 2 tsp consumed/day).
- Contains absorbable vitamins, minerals, amino acids
- Helps defend against cognitive decline and protects brain function
- Anti-Diabetic (natural sweetener option for diabetics too)
- Immune booster
- Cancer and heart disease-protecting abilities
5. CACAO (minimum 50%)
- Real Raw Cacao contains high levels of flavanols (aka. flavan-3-ols) which promote increased blood flow into and out of the brain to stay focused and take on tasks)
- Increase mood (increases seratonin levels)
- Reduce stress
- Relieves constipation
- Contains Theobromine:natural stimulant that decreases depression, increases relaxation and euphoric feelings
- Anti-Oxidant (known to have more than blueberries)
- High levels of inerals